Subject: World Tourism Day 2024 - Best wishes
From: "Regional Department for Europe" <[email-masked]>
To: "Regional Department for Europe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2024 08:52:37 +0300

Dear colleagues,
Dear friends,
Dear all!

There is no doubt: Peace and Tourism belong together.
Without peace, there is no tourism.
And at the same time, tourism can build peace.
A peace we so desperately need.
So today, on this special World Tourism Day 2024, dedicated to PEACE, we 
must remember that

*

	Tourism is not just about economic growth.
*

	Tourism is about bringing people together.
*

	Tourism is about creating prosperity and well-being.
*

	It is a tool for healing, resilience and regeneration.
*

	A tool for turning travellers into global citizens, who care, connect and 
stand for a better world.

UN Tourism has evolved as tourism has grown. But the Organization´s focus on 
peace has been there from the very beginning.

When the World Tourism Organization was created in 1975, Article 3 made 
"international understanding, peace and prosperity" the fundamental aim of 
the Organization.

Now, almost half a century later, we must remember this mission.

So today, we call on all of you, to engage and help to build a 
"peace-sensitive tourism sector" that ensures

*

	tourism plays a key role in building peace and ending conflicts.
*

	provides tourism stakeholders with tools to realize this potential.
*

	produces guidelines for tourism education as peace education.
*

	and links tourism to other peace building initiatives.

Together we can create a tourism sector that does NOT just react to 
conflict, but prevents it, resolves it and heals its wounds.
So today, lets work together, so that our sector becomes what it was always 
meant to be: a force for building a better and more peaceful world.

With our best wishes for a wonderful World Tourism Day 2024,
Cordula Wohlmuther & Team

 <https://www.unwto.org/>
Cordula Wohlmuther
Regional Director a.i. for Europe
Regional Department for Europe
UN Tourism C/ Poeta Joan Maragall 42,
28020 Madrid, Spain Tel: +34 91 567 8100 unwto.org <https://www.unwto.org/>

************************* DISCLAIMER *************************

Please consider the environment before printing – Go Green Keep it on the 
screen

This e-mail has been subjected to updated anti-virus checks. Nevertheless, 
you should take your own security measures to prevent any possible damage.

This message, including its attached, may contain confidential, proprietary 
or privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any 
review, use, distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If 
you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the 
recipient), please contact the sender immediately by reply this e-mail and 
delete all copies of this message including its content and do not disclose, 
distribute or copy it to any third party or otherwise use this message. The 
content of this message does not necessarily reflect the official position 
of UN Tourism unless specifically stated.

*************************************************************